INTRO TO SLIPPING
Slipping is a side-to-side defensive movement used to avoid straight punches (the jab and the cross).
The goal when slipping is to move completely out of the way while still keeping yourself in range to counter-punch.
THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
- Use your legs or lower body, not your back.
- Engage your abs as you slip side-to-side, utilizing your obliques.
- Rely on the strength of your boxing stance in order to maintain your balance
- Don't waste energy slipping TOO far away from the punch, just move enough to avoid the punch.
- After slipping out of the way, snap right back to your center.
- Use your eyes while slipping, keeping them on your opponent at all times.
- Finally, be patient! Slips are a very advanced skill to master, trust the process.